Great Product Sites

In general, my preferred forms of online/digital product marketing are those that respect my desire for an outrageous level of detail on the thing that I’m thinking about buying. This means the pages are usually super long. And there’s usually a lot of copy.

Leather Soul has great product pages; they’re not as in-depth as they could be, but their social channels (inclusive, I suppose, of the comment section) act like supplements to the product display. Tom is amazingly responsive and helpful throughout, and though there’s no traditional e-commerce, they seem to process and ship a number of email orders while driving destination usage of their growing store empire.

Sticking with shoes: handmade/artisan/low-volume casual shoemaker Feit has a simpler approach to product pages (and an interesting pre-order model) but basically sticks to a good script: enormous, clear product imagery.

Feit happens to make shoes for Outlier, a cycling-influenced tailored/technical clothing brand with manufacturing in NYC, which have in my estimation some of the best product pages on the internet. Lots of photos. No clicking, just scrolling. Loads of fit details. Comprehensive descriptions of their fabric and construction methodology. And a set of social/marketing channels that keep me up-to-date on new releases, behind-the-scenes stuff, and restocks. Doesn’t hurt that their clothes are amazing. Their 60/30 Chinos make Bonobos look/feel like hobo pants.

Chevy’s product pages kick the pants off most of their competitors. So much detail, so easily accessible, and with a pretty fresh design for the category. I’m sure J.D. Power doesn’t approve, but I do.

I love Kaufmann Mercantile. 90% of that love is due to the site and their emails, which in general are fantastically detailed. The other 10% of that love came from meeting the founder, a guy that wanted to build a simple, accessible and ethical business that he could run and grow for the rest of his life, and seems to be giving it a really good go.

Next, a site that was built by one of my favorite strategic builders (Odopod, in SF) and atop strategy that we created at Undercurrent: International Watch Company. This particular set of pages is for an outlandishly expensive watch, and there’s (in my mind) a commensurate level of detail provided to substantiate desire.

And finally an example from the digital world: Squarespace. Hat tip to Mr. Daniels. Nothing fancy. Just a comprehensive description of the thing you’re buying, and how it works.

Add Your Comments

Disclaimer
Your email is never published nor shared.
Required
Required
Tips

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <ol> <ul> <li> <strong>

Ready?